Sago / Sagu Kelapa Recipes

This dish was introduced by my wife is another simple and easy recipe to follow. It is ‘Sago Kelapa’ one of the popular dessert recipes available in Malaysia. Just to let you know, this is my first time having the ‘Sago Kelapa’ abroad and I must say, I like it even though I’m not a big fan of dessert myself.

Sago Kelapa
Sagu Kelapa
Yes, I’m not a dessert fan, but during fasting month, I feel like to have a dessert is a must. If you’re in Malaysia during the period of Ramadhan, this can be easily found in any ‘Bazar’ or roadside stall that are selling desserts.

Coconut Sago
Sago Kelapa
However, when living abroad and thinking to have this kind of dish, you've got to make it yourself. But don’t worry so much as all the ingredients can be easily found. Thanks to Oriental Supermarket and Asia Market.

So to try the recipe, please follow the instructions below;

Ingredients
1 cup of sago
1 cup of sugar
2 cup of warm water
1 cup of desiccated coconut
Food coloring (red)
Pinch of salt

How To:
  1. Wash and soak sago (at least for 15 minutes).
  2. Drain the sago.
  3. Dissolve sugar in warm water and add few drop of food coloring.
  4. In a pot, pour the water (dissolved sugar) into the sago and stir it well until boil and the sago become clear.
  5. Put the cooked sago in a container and cool it down / put in fridge.
  6. Once cooled, cut them into preference pieces and roll onto desiccated coconut(mix desiccated coconut with a pinch of salt).

13 Comments

NB: Anonymous and keywords comment will not be published.

  1. I heard first time about this type of recipe. I will try it definitely. Thanks for sharing this new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes SM, thanks 4 sharing..awat x ajak kwn2 mkn sekali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo. Anyway, this is a simple kueh but yet so tasty. The sagu can also be served with coconut milk and 'Gula Melaka' and be a perfect dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acap: will remember you next time.

    Alice: Thanks. Agreed, this is called 'Sagu Gula Melaka'. I will try to get the recipe posted in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selamat Buka Puasa

    Im Malaysian living in Calgary and I really love how we Malaysian continue our culture and heritage wherever we are. Please add more recipes. I will definitely try out this kueh soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its looks so tasty, I will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hoaaa.. I so want to taste it.. hhmmm.. sllrfh

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems so delicious. I'm going try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you added the Wiki link. Once I saw what it was< I remembered Sago Palms, but had no idea what the ingredient was before. These would be lovely served during the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really yummy with simple ingredients and easy to make. I will try this recipe this coming weekend and surely my son will love this. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @emmieI will try my best to update this blog. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so amazed reading the review about this Sago / Sagu Kelapa Recipes. Thanks for sharing this interesting updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an ideal dessert for me. Thanks for sharing this outrageous recipe; glad to drop by reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post